The East African Railways and Harbours Corporation (EAR&H), now defunct, company operated railways and harbours in East Africa from 1948 to 1977. It was formed in 1948 for the new East African High Commission by merging the Kenya and Uganda Railways and Harbours with the Tanganyika Railway of the Tanganyika Territory. As well as running railways and harbours in the three territories it ran inland shipping services on Lake Victoria, Lake Kyoga, Lake Albert, the Victoria Nile and the Albert Nile.
This 200hp Saurer BXDL-engined Wickham Railcar was one of the three 58 seater railcars built for the Kenya & Uganda Railways Kisumu-Butere branch line. It was ordered in January 1939. but because of WW2 not delivered until May 1946.