Friday, December 10, 2010

Tehachapi action in winter snow


Tehachapi Loop on the busy route which connects Bakersfield and Mojave is the third of the popular areas in California for observing railway action. As the name indicates, it contains a complete loop, but the surrounding area also contains some impressive curves and gradients.  It is owned by Union Pacific (which acquired its builder Southern Pacific in 1997) but BNSF has trackage rights.

Ex-pat New Zealand railfan Darryl Bond now lives in America and continues with his hobby of railway photography there.  He certainly takes some good pictures: these are just a few taken at Tehachapi in December 2008 from his website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to visit the loop with my ex boyfriend cause he works for BNSF. It was my favorite place and will always love to see it.

Mrs. Scott said...

(Sigh) Tehachapi is the one thing about living in California that I really miss. The hubby and I lived 15 miles away for a year and a half and loved making the short trip up! On my first trip to California, my hubby took me up right before he proposed, it was the first time I had seen snow and mountains that I can remember as an adult! Tehachapi will always be in my heart <3