This is a short 103 metres long, but provides a useful service by transporting passengers from the level of the railway station up a 30% gradient to the level of the town centre. The funicular was put into service in 1908. The present cabins date from 1961 and were refurbished at the end of 2006. Like the Wellington Cable Car (see earlier posts), it is metre-gauge with a passing loop in the middle.
The service is provided free.
This view looks from the top towards the railway line in the background. (Geoff Churchman)