The PKP series TKt48 was originally used in suburban traffic, and later on the front of passenger and freight trains on the central mountain ranges in southern Poland. Top speed was 80 km/h in either direction. A total 191 were supplied to the PKP between 1950 and 1957 (plus 18 factory use examples) and were still used up to the late 1980s in large numbers. Only with the decommissioning of most branch lines in Poland since 1989 were they retired and scrapped. Ten have been preserved.