This was a one-off 2-6-6-0T built in 1906 as an experimental more powerful locomotive to operate on the Rimutaka Incline than the existing H class Fell engines. It was more powerful than an H but used a lot more coal and was unpopular with crews.
In 1917 it was withdrawn from service and later scrapped. More
|A portrait of E66 taken by Percy Godber at the Petone workshops where it was built in 1906.|