Monday, February 6, 2017

cargo ship 'Teniers'


Built: 1964
GRT: 10,315
LOA: 157.6 metres
BOA: 20.3 metres
Engine: 1 Sulzer diesel
Speed: 16.5 knots
Container capacity: 19.707 m3

This was one of 4 sister ships built by Cockerill Yards de Hoboken (Antwerp) owned by the Compagnie Maritime Belge, Antwerp, Belgium, and named after Flemish painters. Originally built as general cargo ships, in 1967 they were converted to semi-container ships. The other three ships were Jordaens, Breughel and Memling (which was renamed Rubens), 

In 1981 the ship was sold to Santa SA, Panama (Navegante Shipping Agency, Hong Kong), and renamed Santa Clara.  In 1984 the ship went to breakers at Shanghai, China.

The original fitting was 5 holds and 4 small deeptanks for palm oil or similar.

For interest, here is a short, candid account by a crew member on this webpage:
"Le Teniers était un congo-boot. (navire qui faisait la ligne du Congo)
Ici à bord je suis allé d'une surprise à l'autre.
Ce Teniers était un bac de pédés, tous des lècheurs de culs.
J'ai de très mauvais souvenirs de ce navire et je préfère ne pas en parler.
Le voyage a duré depuis le 27 juillet jusqu'au 21 août, donc pas trop long, mais pour moi c'était une éternité, et le commandant ne voulait pas me croire lorsque je lui disais ce que les autres voulaient me faire subir.
La nuit, je dormais avec un grand couteau sous l'oreiller et la porte fermée, avec des cales en-dessous, car certains de ces salauds possédaient un passe-partout.
Même dans la cuisine je n'étais pas en sécurité.
Pendant tout le voyage j'ai été agressé et discriminé par cette racaille.
Plus jamais je n'ai accepté d'enrôler sur un navire de la CMB.
A Anvers, j'ai déposé une plainte, mais au commissariat maritime ils ont rigolé, l'un d'eux m'a dit que je n'avais qu'à glisser une assiette dans mon froc.
D'autres deckboys m'ont dit qu'ils avaient également été sexuellement agressés par du personnel de la cuisine.
C'est grave si l'on ne sait même pas laisser en paix un jeune mousse. Il y avait même un chef steward qui tout le temps se promenait la queue à l'air dans les couloirs, j'en devenais malade."
"The Teniers was a Congo-boot (ship doing the Congo line)
Here on board I went from one surprise to another.
This Teniers was a ferry of fags, all of them asslickers.
I have very bad memories of this ship and I prefer not to talk about it.
The journey lasted from 27 July to 21 August, not too long, but for me it was an eternity, and the commander did not want to believe me when I told him what others wanted me to do.
At night I slept with a big knife under the pillow and the door closed, with holds underneath, for some of these bastards had a passe-partout key.
Even in the kitchen I was not safe.
Throughout the trip I was assaulted and discriminated against by this trash.
Never again did I agree to enlist on a CMB ship.
In Antwerp, I filed a complaint, but at the Maritime Commissariat they laughed, one of them told me that I had only to slip a plate in my frock.
Other deckboys told me that they had also been sexually assaulted by kitchen staff.
It is serious if you do not even know how to leave a young moss in peace.
There was even a chief steward who kept wandering around the corridors all the time tail in the air, making me sick."


No comments: