La Marsa to Carthage electric railway, Tunisia, 1920s
This standard gauge line was opened in 1874 and electrified in 1910 with a third rail. In 1923, wood bodied electric multiple units were placed in service. The sets had motors rated at 250 hp enabling speeds of 60-65 km/h. The third rail system lasted until 1989 when it was replaced by overhead catenary. Interestingly some of these pics also show trolley poles on the sets, perhaps because authorities were worried about people walking on the electrified rail in the termini.