Which it would have been at the time the photo was taken. Hakataramea was 1.8 km further on, but that was closed in July 1930 and the name then changed to the Kurow Branch.
This line served a major role in building hydro dams on the Waitaki River, and it lasted until these were complete in 1983. The 59 km line from Pukeuri (on the Main South Line) was then closed and lifted. For more, see our books.