Saturday, October 1, 2016
coupled diesel multiple units in Tel Aviv north station, Israel, 1956
A colorized photo showing recently arrived sets from Maschinenfabrik Esslingen of West Germany. Twelve of these 3-car sets were supplied as part of a reparations agreement between West Germany and Israel.
Similar to the West German VT08 class, the 3-car sets comprised powered cars, intermediate cars and driving cars; some were later extended to 4-car sets with intermediate cars. In the early 1960s the sets were converted to non-powered coaches in push-pull service because of high maintenance costs. They were withdrawn in 1979, but some carriages continued in regular services into the 1990s. One trailer is preserved by the Country Museum in Tel Aviv.
at 10:44 PM