The station was built between 1867 and 1871. Until 1925, the tracks led into the station but during a renovation over 1925-1927 the tracks were moved to the west and the former track hall was converted into a 119-metre long, 28-metre wide and 13-metre high waiting hall. During the renovation the station was extended to the south through the construction of the southern pavilion. This part of the station currently houses a conference facility. Next to the conference facility is the Royal waiting hall where the Royal Family waits when travelling by train.
In 1951 the façade towards Vasagatan was changed and given a more simplified look. In 1958 an underground passage to T-Centralen was opened.