Saturday, October 29, 2011
from Bideford through Westward Ho! to Appledore, England
One of three 2-4-2 side tank engines built by Hunslet Engine Co. Ltd. of Leeds that provided the power for trains of this short-lived railway, seen in 1910. The three were named Grenville (works number 713), Kingsley (works number 714) and Torridge (works number 715). Protective plates or skirts were attached for safety while running through the streets section (despite the speed limit of only 4 mph in these areas) and a form of cow-catcher was later fixed to the front. One engine, Torridge was put on the track facing Bideford and the other two, Kingsley and Grenville faced Appledore as the line had no turntable.
The 10 km isolated standard gauge line opened in 3 stages between 1901 and 1908, but closed in 1917 after being requisitioned by the war office. Reopening the railway after the war was contemplated but with its dubious financial basis, didn't happen.
at 2:09 PM