Near the small settlement of Raupunga between Napier and Wairoa, this was built between 1930 and 1937 by the Public Works Department for NZR. The gully was the biggest natural obstacle on the whole Napier-Gisborne line, some of which is still mothballed.
It is 276.8 metres (908 ft) in length, and at 95 metres (312 ft) high, is the tallest viaduct in Australasia. Here it is crossed by a steam-hauled passenger special. For lots more, see our books, in particular New Zealand 1950s Steam in Colour.