Saturday, September 10, 2016
Edelweiss Pullman train poster, 1928
From its introduction until it was suspended in 1939 upon the outbreak of WW2, the Edelweiss was a luxury train operated by the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits (CIWL), and ran between Amsterdam Central Station, the Netherlands, and Luzern station, Switzerland.
After the war, the Edelweiss was revived, initially as an ordinary express train between Brussels, Belgium, and Basel SBB station in Switzerland. In 1957, it became one of the first of the first-class-only Trans Europ Express (TEE) trains, with its southern terminus moved from Basel further southeast to Zürich Hauptbahnhof, Switzerland.
at 7:16 PM